Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Space is becoming mainstream as space-based economies have ceased to be science fiction.


For fun this aging blogger gets email from Access Intelligence, LLC., a group that creates conferences, meetings, whatever. It keeps me aware of what an old retired guy would otherwise not know is going on. I don't go to the events, I just read about them.

One of their conferences is called CyberSatCom which this year will be held May 13-15. One item on the agenda caught my eye:
SPACE SUSTAINABILITY AS WE MOVE TOWARDS NEW ECONOMIES
As space becomes more mainstream, space-based economies are no longer the stuff of science fiction, and new industries are starting to emerge. We’ll take a deep dive into the potential of areas such as energy from space, drug manufacturing from space, asteroid mining, and strive to answer the question “how do we create a more secure space environment?”​
We all know that Elon Musk's SpaceX, Richard Branson's OneWeb, and Jeff Bezos' Kuiper are moving the low earth orbit satellite concept from "interesting idea" to implementation. But "space-based economies" is a broader concept that for me was limited to the scifi show "The Expanse" on Amazon

I guess being a member of the "Silent Generation" one other agenda item tells me where I stand time-wise:
ACADEMIA: PROJECT FUTURE SPACE
Generation Z and Millennials have been raised in an “always connected” world, and they are next in line to make sure satellite and space assets stay secure. How are the next generation preparing for the cyber security world and what do they see as future threats in the space environment? Join students and young professionals as they discuss their views on challenges, cyber threats and the general landscape of the future space environment.​
I know I will not, and would not want to, live to be 105. But despite having to experience more of the climate crisis, space-based economies may be the one new trend I would like to watch evolve over the next 30 years - although "The Expanse" isn't such a bad way to speculate about it.

No comments: